28 April 2011

High Island High...TEXAS (27 April)



After the doldrums of recent days on High Island the winds changed, and so did our fortunes with some 29 warblers around the "island". I managed to see 2 Cerulean Warblers, 2 different Golden-winged Warblers, many Blackburnian Warblers, masses of tame, tame Black-throated Green Warblers, lots of "Halloween" colored male American Redstarts, and a fine male Cape May Warbler to top all of this off. OK so I missed the rarity-a Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher that has been skillfully avoiding me now for three days (not that I am counting), but I did get seriously in your face looks at Yellow-billed Cuckoo at the photo blind (not a regular occurrence even there), along with lots of cool migrants like Warbling Vireo, Blue Grosbeak, and a flyover of four Mississippi Kites that put the icing on the cake when they landed in the trees above us and glared down at with the piercing stare that only a raptor can give.

I have one meager morning in the woods at High Island tomorrow before I set off for snowy Colorado and chickens and mountain birds to come.

2 comments:

plainbirder said...

Are you not going to be with us at Lake Erie this year?

Sam Woods said...

I will be at Magee Marsh from May 5th, just sneaking in some lifers in Colorado first! See you in Ohio.