18 November 2011

The Prettiest of them all...AUSTRALIA (2 Nov)






I forgot to pots this from our journey into O Reilly's on the 2nd, sorry, need to rectify that. I had told the group to be on the lookout for wallabies in the sclerophyl woods (open eucalypt woods with a grassy understorey), on the way up before we hit the rainforest on the top, as the wallaby in these parts may just be the fairest of them all. As I was driving up my mind wandered for a moment and I thought I caught something out of the corner of my eye, but as it was so close it could not possibly be...screech. I stopped abruptly when I realized that it was indeed a Whiptail Wallaby feeding calmly by the roadside. As we stopped and Susan and her bus pulled up alongside I warned everyone not to get out as it will probably bolt. As if to prove this another four animals, that I admit I had failed to notice, bounded off the far side of the road. And I thought it was just a matter of time before this handsome individual would do the same. To my horror I saw some of the group in the other bus climbing out, and waited for the animal to react...well suffice to say this was one very tame Whiptail that showed us all how pretty it is, supporting its other, more favored name, the Pretty-face Wallaby.

More on the way from Down Under soon...

No comments: