20 June 2011

Cock-of-the-rock update...ECUADOR (18 June)



Last weekend I got my first (a little belated to say the least) look at nesting Andean Cock-of-the-rock due to the conveniently placed nest that is literally on the side of Tandayapa Bird Lodge itself. So when I returned this weekend I was keen to see how they were getting on. The bold female was still sat on her muddy nest, balanced on the lodge windowsill. Once again her two ugly nestlings were well hidden beneath her deep down in the dark mud nest. So first off I just got some glares from the female as I passed by. Although later when I returned I got my first proper looks at the chicks of this dazzling bird. Looking down at this sorry looking bird it was hard to fathom that this was set to turn into one of Ecuador's most beautiful cloudforest birds! Sadly I will not be around to keep checking on them over the next few weeks but good luck to them, and may they blossom into the beauty they are meant to be soon!

No comments: